There are lots of games and activities that you can do by yourself or with a friend(s), some more simple than others. Ping pong balls make great party favors and small gifts because they’re cheap and useful.
Fun Things To Do With Ping Pong Balls: I’m straight edge (no drugs or alcohol for those of you who don’t know), so I never let friends come over if we’re going to drink; instead, we play board games like Apples to Apples, Taboo, Pictionary, Pit, etc. With the help of my ping pong ball supply, however, I’ve made these nights even better!
Some places where you can buy these balls are Wal-Mart, Target, and Zellers (a Canadian store).
Here’s how to have Fun Things To Do With Ping Pong Balls :
12 Creative Activities for Kids Using Ping Pong Balls
- Comparing Numbers: Ping Pong Ball Toss Game for Kids from Buggy and Buddy.
- Ping Pong Ball Shooters from Frugal Fun for Boys.
- Ping Pong Ball Painting from Kids Activities Blog.
- Floating Ping Pong Ball Science from Buggy and Buddy.
- Launching Ping Pong Balls with a Homemade Lever from Buggy and Buddy
- Hands Free Ping Pong from Toddler Approved
- Ping Pong Word Family Activity from Playdough to Plato
- Ping Pong Alphabet Bounce from I Can Teach My Child
- Toddler Ping Pong Ball Activity from Sugar Aunts
- Ping Pong Ball Nerf Targets from Frugal Fun for Boys
- Ping Pong Ball Monster Craft from Kids Activities Blog
- Fun with a Marble Run! from Creative Connections for Kids
1. Ping Pong Toss – This is a game in which you bounce the ball in your hand and try to land it in a cup about ten feet away. First one there wins!
2. Blow Darts – Blow darts is similar to frisbee golf, except that you use a blow dart gun instead of discs. You can also buy these at Wal-Mart or Target for $5-10 . Another way to play is by using an electric toothbrush as a blow dart launcher; just take off the brush head and stick the bristles into the end of the gun . The person who gets their Fun Things To Do With Ping Pong Balls in the target cup in the least amount of shots wins.
3. Spoons – You play this game by a team. Get a bunch of spoons and throw them between teammates as fast as you can. The first team to lose all their spoons loses! All players must be touching the table on each side of their legs, about four inches from the edge .
4. Beer Pong- This is a very popular drinking game mainly played at parties or bars where participants throw a ping pong ball into cups filled with beer across from them and try to land it in one of theirs opponents cups . If they do this then that person has to drink the beer from that cup and also fill up your opponents cup , unless they want to drink the whole thing.
5. Tournament- Have a tournament where you get rid of all your ping pong balls until there is one left . It would probably be best if you have a larger table.
What is a Ping Pong Ball?
A ping pong ball is a spherical object approximately two inches in diameter with 38 dimples, or holes, around its surface. It weighs about 3.5 ounces and is made of celluloid or another plastic polymer . The game of ping pong was originally called “Ping Pong” but the name was changed to table tennis due to the existence of another game also named “Ping Pong” that used wooden paddles and a cloth covering over the basketball-like ball.
Ping Pong balls were first manufactured with black spots from India ink, which would allow players to easily see when they had been struck by an opponent’s paddle. In 1900, this design was improved with colored spots that could only be from one side making it easier for players to determine if their opponent’s shots had gone wide, making for less distraction. Colors are often changed regularly in tournaments so that spectators can easily follow the play of a match.
Ping pong balls are manufactured with celluloid or another plastic polymer. They are spherical in shape and have a diameter of 40 millimeters (1.57 inches). The weight of a ping pong ball is 3.5 ounces (~100 grams) and it has a bounce time under 20 milliseconds. This gives an average return time for pro players holding the paddle stationary at around 100 milliseconds.
How to play ping pong?
Ping pong is played by two or four players ( doubles and singles ) who hit a lightweight, hollow ball made of celluloid (also called plastic wood ) back and forth with ping pong paddles. The game takes place on a hard table divided by a net. Except for the initial serve, players must allow a ball played toward them only one bounce on their side of the table and must return it so that it bounces on the opposite side at least once. Points are scored when a player fails to return the ball within the rules. Play is fast and demands quick reactions.
A skilled player can impart several varieties of spin to the ball, altering its trajectory and limiting an opponent’s options to great advantage. Certain varieties of spin cause the ball to bounce in an unpredictable fashion.
The game took place originally as a form of lawn tennis or badminton before the name was given to a specific game played with paddles. In 1887, British army officer Walter Clopton Wingfield designed a similar game for play by postmen who spent their shifts on bicycles wanting something suitably light and simple which could be played indoors after work without causing too much fatigue. He published rules of his new sport that same year – the first known codification of any racket sport – under the title “Sphairistikè” (Greek: σφάιριστική), from which the modern word “Ping-pong” derives.
Related guide: Are Ping Pong Balls Recyclable? | Facts You Must Know 2023
Make your own DIY Ping Pong Table?
The name “Ping Pong” was in wide use before British manufacturer J. Jaques & Son Ltd trademarked it in 1901. The name then came to be used for the game played by the rather expensive Jaquess equipment, with other manufacturers calling it table tennis instead of the genericized trademark “Ping Pong”. A similar situation arose in the United States, where Jaques sold the rights to Parker Brothers.
Parker Brothers then enforced its copyright and a lower court found that any business selling Ping-Pong equipment had to pay royalties on all such equipment marketed. The ruling affected businesses both producing and selling Ping-Pong tables, but allowed independent manufacturers a fair market price for their Ping-Pong tables so as to encourage further development and innovation.
The idea of recreational table tennis attracted the attention of George Parnell, who had studied patent law and marketing in his native England and then moved to Chicago to start a business that bore his name: G. Parnell & Co.. His first table was marketed for $150 (equivalent to $2,500 today). He called it simply the “Patent Table Tennis”. Table tennis was growing in popularity by 1901, when more than a dozen companies were producing tables and 300 or more players turned up at tournaments. That year the English sportsman Charles Melly Jacobs acquired a U.S. trademark on that name as well as the term “Ping Pong” for sporting goods.
Have a Ping Pong Tournament!
Table tennis, also known as ping pong is a fun and exciting sport- or recreational activity. It’s usually played for friendly competition against another person, but you can have a tournament if you’d like! Here are just a few reasons why: It increases morale and teamwork within the workplace. It strengthens social bonds and creates lasting friendships through fellowship and comradery.
The first player to win seven games wins the match:
They’re so simple it can be played on almost any table. All you need is some netting stretched across the middle of the table (usually at about 26 inches high) and two paddles. You can even use your hands as paddles- although it’s not actually orthodox play.
Ping Pong is a game that can be played by almost anybody, for fun or for competition. Its main use has always been to serve as recreation for people of all ages.
It keeps your mind sharp and it improves hand-eye coordination. You’ll have so much fun you won’t even realize how much you’re learning! Tournaments are mostly valued by the workplace because they build morale among employees. Anyone can learn how to play Ping Pong in no time at all. All you need are two paddles, a ball, and a table to play on! You can find all these things at your local department stores or sports stores.